Sodium Laurel Sulfate

Sodium Laurel Sulfate is commonly used as a degreaser. It is found in shampoos, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand creams, lotions, & cleansers. The known effects may include, skin irritation, rash, teeth damage, endocrine disruption, hair loss, cataracts, mouth ulcers, respiratory tract, eye and oral toxicity, headaches, nausea, coughing, and congestion. A study published by the NTP (National Toxicology Program), according to PAN (Pesticide Action Network), shows that the substance exhibits an acute oral toxicity with an LD50 of 1,288mg/kg in rats, meaning that 50% of the rats died following ingestion of 1,288mg/kg.

Parabens, also known as Methyl, propyl, & butyl are used as effective preservatives but are found to be linked to serious health concerns. Scientists dispute the dangers saying paraben preservatives although rapidly absorbed through the skin are excreted. However, a recent British Study at the University of Reading conducted by Dr. Philippa Darbe and colleagues on twenty different samples of humas breast tumors showed each sample to have traces of the paraben chemicals. Dr. Darbe concluded: "Their detection in human breast tumors is of concern since parabens have been shown to mimic the action of the female hormone estrogen."

*References:
 www.Livestrong.com
BBC News Journal Nov. 1st, 2004